Skin Care Basics
I began seeing an aesthetician a while ago and have learned SO much about skin care! I believe that developing beautiful skin begins from the inside. What we take into our bodies (everything from food and drink to stress and lifestyle) plays a large part in the health of our skin. If we enjoy a lot of vegetables and clean water, those efforts will shine through our healthy skin. If we are able to practice exercise, deep breathing, and relaxation, our less stressful lives will result in healthier skin. However, keeping your pores clean and healthy requires a bit of work from the outside in.
My aesthetician has taught me a few key practices that I’d love to share with you!
1. Wash your face 2x per day with a massage quality.
2. Visualize a “butterfly zone” instead of a “T zone” on your face.
3. In the “butterfly zone,” massage your skin for 6 rounds of washing focused on the oilier BZ and less on the outline of the face.
4. Exfoliate 2x per week at night using a Clairisonic.
5. Moisturize within 1-5 minutes of washing your face.
6. Moisturize and apply make up in an upward action.
These 5 key practices have given my sensitive and break out prone skin a brighter look of vitality. I love turning my skin care ritual into an enjoyable spa like experience. Instead of dreading the process when I’m tired, I look forward to how good it feels to massage the muscles in my face and apply a sweet smelling moisturizer! Soaking in the goodness of the little things makes all the difference!
I like to turn my facial care into an opportunity to practice healthy mental habits, as well! Since I’m spending a while massaging my face for 6 rounds, I use this time to verbalize 6 things I am thankful for in my life! It is a very uplifting practice! It keeps me dedicated to massaging my face for the appropriate amount of time AND makes me happier about all of the abundance life has to offer!
TIP: Brush your teeth before you apply moisturizer or make up to your skin!